Our goal is to utilize best practice guidelines, internal professionals, self management, lifestyle modification initiatives, and community services to help support clients with the management of their diabetes and prevent or delay the progression of diabetes.
The Diabetes Management Program
The Wawa Family Health Team’s Diabetes Management program was implemented in 2007.
Care is provided to patients through clinics where they are seen every three to six months by either a Nurse, or a physician. These visits provide clients with the tools necessary to improve self management and individual clinical outcomes.
The visiting patients will:
- Have their blood pressure and weight taken
- Review recent laboratory tests
- Have their feet examined
- Discuss lifestyle modifiable areas e.g. exercise, smoking
- Receive a referral to check your eyes if needed
- Have medications adjusted as needed
Canadian Diabetes Association
Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation
The Kidney Foundation
Canadian Hypertension Society